Monday, June 15, 2009

Writing Documentation

(or: The quest for the holly grail of information)

I am terrible at documenting my steps. I had to admit it from the beginning so I would accept it easier and try to find a solution for this. We here at the Help Desk have a gazillion of procedures that we follow and not all of them are documented, and that for sure make our job a little more confusing.

The issue begins when we (or at least I) don't know exactly who handles what. And that is just the beginning. But then again, I am not saying that the we are not organized. We are. But not in a fashion that makes sense to me. I am all for the documentation, but it needs to be available easily and needs do be also easy to follow.
I've been thinking about how to make this happen and I've come up with the following plan or as I call it, the Tri-Force:

GOOGLE IT!

Meaning that every time we find something we don't know, we should use some of our google magic and find the answers. That we already do pretty well, but then we print it and archive it. Not very useful.


Therefore, my next step.

FORMAT IT!

Formatting it in such a manner that it would be easily understandable, with screenshots and all, so all of those that find written instructions hard to follow can benefit from it also.


And finally:

PUBLISH IT!

Publishing it on the wiki allows us to have all the documentation in a common place that everybody can find and use.



I know it sounds too simple for a plan, but it is how they say: Keep it simple. Keeping it simple makes it understandable as well.

That is it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment